Friday, September 4, 2020

Week 2 Story: The Arbiter's Side Journey

Link to updated story in my Portfolio: Arbiter

The Arbiter's Side Journey

    The Arbiter awoke underwater, confused as to how he was alive. The last thing he remembered was evacuating The Ark on the ship with the Demon... and now he was a...crab? Realizing he could breathe just fine underwater, he gathered his bearings and headed towards the shore. As he walked, he thought about how this could have happened, he assumed the slip-space travel somehow transported him here, and into the body of a crab. He never fully understood that technology, but hoped to get back to his old self one day.

Illustration by W. Robinson. Source: The Cunning Crane and the Crab

    
    As he approached the shore, he heard a few fish and a crane conversing about some traveling. He thought it wise to keep some distance, out of sight, and listen. 
    
    "- There's only room for one, so ol' one eyed will go first. Then I shall come back and get the rest." said the Crane. 
    
    The Crane then scooped up a fish and flew away. The Arbiter climbed an elevated rock and observed the Crane. He noticed the Crane stopped in some trees and ate the fish. Curious as to what was happening, he hid again before the crane came back and listened. 
   
     "Ol' one eyed seems happy enough in those cold waters, who's next?" said the Crane.
    
    "Me, me, me, me!" exclaimed the remaining fish.
    
    The Arbiter now realized that the fish were being lied to and being flown to their demise. It reminded him of the lies the Prophets spewed to his people. He remained hidden as he thought of a plan to stop the Crane, one that would work in his new crab body. A few hours had passed and he realized that new body is vaguely similar to his old one. Instead of a suit of armor and sword, he has a sturdy shell and sharp claws. Yes, he now had a plan and moved to where the fish were. When he got there, he saw one fish left and told it to scram. Now he patiently awaited the Crane's return.
    
    "Hey crab! Might I interest you in some cooler waters?! I can take you just down the lake!" the crane yelled as it neared the spot the fish previously laid and noticed only a crab remained. 
    
    "Perhaps," said the Arbiter, "and how do you plan to take me?"
    
    "Why, just jump in my beak," the Crane said as it landed and opened its mouth.
    
    "How about I hold on instead? I trust my grip more than your beak," explained the Arbiter.
    
    The Crane thought for a second as his belly was somewhat satisfied. But alas, he hadn't had crab in a while and figured he could treat himself today.
    
    "I suppose you have a point, go ahead and latch on," he said.
    
    The Arbiter held firmly around his neck and was taken to the same place the fish were eaten. He saw the bones of the fallen. With this sight, he became angered.
    
    "Don't worry, I'll only eat you slowly," said the Crane.
    
    "If you want to hear me beg, you will be disappointed," said the Arbiter as he tightened his grip.
    
    The Crane, realizing what the situation he was in, exclaimed hoarsely, "Hold on! How about we forget this ever happened! I'll let you go on your merry way!"
    
    "Were it so easy," said the Arbiter, a moment before he beheaded the Crane. 
    
    He watched as the lifeless body of the Crane collapsed at his feet. It reminded him of the Prophet he had slain not long ago. After a moment, he moved on to try to find his way back to his old self.


Author's Note

    I added elements from the Halo universe (several video games, books, comic books, and even a couple of movies) to the story of "The Cunning Crane and the Crab". I changed the original crab from the story into the Arbiter from the Halo universe. I tried to make the story a condensed version of some of the Arbiter's journey in the Halo universe. Simply put, there were "Prophets" in the Halo universe that led several alien species that worked together, known as the Covenant, and essentially lied to them and were leading them all to their death. The Arbiter eventually became aware of this and stopped the Prophet who betrayed his people. Hopefully this is enough information to make sense for now.


Bibliography:

"The Cunning Crane and The Crab" by W. H. D. Rouse.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Manny! As a Halo fan, it is cool to see the Arbiter portrayed in such a wacky scenario. I love how you kept his hard boiled, and stoic persona in tact even while he is a crab. He was able to quickly think on his feet (or claws), and win out against the situation even being a crab. I think this story has a couple of unanswered questions for people unfamiliar with Halo though. Like what does it mean to be an Arbiter? And who are the prophets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback! I tried to elaborate more on the Halo side of things in my portfolio. The link at the top should bring you there and explain it a bit better.

      Delete
  2. Hey Manny!

    Thank you for such a descriptive author's note. I also used this short story to retell my week 2 story! I honestly thought this story was so great, so I looked forward to reading your story. You did a great job adding your own personal twist to it. I like how you took the narrative of the crab, it put the story in a whole new perspective. Also, I've played Halo, but I don't know much about the plot or characters. Regardless, it was awesome reading your creative story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Manny,

    Once again I decided to read your story this week. I really enjoy Halo and reading another one of your stories just felt natural. I found it really nice that you were able to keep the arbiter's personality while also changing him up a bit. Your author's notes were really descriptive and I can see how it would help someone who had no idea about Halo's stories or characters.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Notes: The Hypocritical Cat

The Hypocritical Cat     There was a cat that wanted to eat many rats and wanted to trick them to be able to eat them all. So he stood on on...