Thursday, August 27, 2020

Introduction to Manny

    I am Manuel Aponte, though many people call me Manny. I am a Management Information Systems (MIS) major. I am currently a senior set to graduate in December. One of my favorite things about this major is the option to take classes that focus on cyber security as that is the field I want a career in. The best class I've taken so far has been Infrastructure and Security because it has been the most informative and relevant class for my career goals. 

    My career goals have changed throughout my life. Ever since I was a young lad I wanted to join the military. This was partly due to my family and largely due to me being interested in firearms, vehicles, battles, and such. The familial influence came from my dad, Navy during Nam, uncle, Army 101st Airborne during Nam, and brother, currently a Marine reservist. I had wanted to join the Army when I was really young because I thought that's all the military was. As I grew older I learned of the other branches and the different things they all did. While I was in high school my brother joined the Marines and I switched to wanting to join the Marines because of him. As I got closer to graduating high school, I met with the recruiters and went to PT with them and the other poolees (Marine recruits before they ship out to basic training) about six months before I graduated. Everything seemed to be going well until I actually did graduate and the ball started rolling on actually recruiting me. Unfortunately when I was two and five years old, I had some surgeries done because I was a sick boy, and part of the recruitment process is going through MEPS and having their docs look at you and review your medical history. The doc took a look and said no, so the Marines said there was nothing they could do and transferred me to the Army recruiters. 


Group poolee photo RSS OKC South from November 2016.


    The Army recruiters helped me out by contacting the MEPS doc and trying to see what could be done. For the next about year and a half, we had a back and forth with the doc about different things he needed tested to see if he could accept me, so I got them tested. During this time, I figured if I got in, I would join the Army as a combat engineer and earn a Sapper and Ranger tab. Unfortunately, after spending thousands in medical exams and repeatedly being told I'm fine, healthy, and that there was nothing wrong with my body from the surgeries I had when I was young, the MEPS doc kept turning me away. I decided to give up on trying to join as I was already halfway done with my degree and the doc didn't budge. 

    I was originally a Civil Engineering major that switched to a Construction Science major (basically like Civil Engineering but less math and more science) since I wanted to be a combat engineer. I then switched my major to MIS so that I could have a better chance at serving my country from a civilian role. Also, civilian construction jobs didn't interest me.
 

Personal photo of my dog Deagle from August 2019.


    My current path seems to be working out quite nicely as I wasn't set back much since I'm still graduating early, and I'm currently working for the Air Force (as an Intern) in a cyber security role with a job lined up with them in December. In some ways, I think it was meant to be as the Air Force was the only branch no one in my family has been in so I suppose I fill that role now. I now work in a field I'm happy with that also allows me to spoil my family, especially my dog, and purchase firearms, my biggest hobby.

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on graduating in December, Manny! Everybody who graduates in the year 2020 deserves a special certificate of appreciation for getting through school in this impossible time. And with an MIS degree there are so many things you could do, in the military or even as a civilian contractor; my husband did his career in the Air Force as a meteorologist, and he worked with civilian contractors on programming projects a lot. (He is the science nerd in our family, and I am the mythology nerd.)
    And since you are in the Indian Epics class, let me introduce you to the god of engineers: Vishwakarma - link, the "All-Maker" ... someone did a fun project about Vishwakarma's role in the Ramayana, which you might enjoy looking at now before you get into the epic. It's a wonderful Storybook I think: Vishvakarma's Engineering Feats - link
    And I have to say, your dog Deagle is totally adorable: maybe he will make an appearance in a story this semester. We need all the good pet-energy this semester! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Manny! It's great to meet you! I really respect the desire you have for serving in the military. I think that it's great where you are out right now, and that you are able to still follow your dream but in a different role than you expected. Personally, I could never be tough enough for something like that and I admire the dedication and passion you have for it. I also think that your dog Deagle is so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Manny,
    I didn't think that I would see another MIS major in this class. I feel like our major used to be so unknown, but it's starting to pick up popularity. I appreciate the amount of effort that you put into trying to join the military. P.S. Your dog is really cute, you should post more pictures of him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Manny, I commend your pursuit to serve your country in any way you can and I think this is quite honorable. It is also poetic in a way that you enter into the Air Force and be the first oe I your military family to do so! I am also a senior graduating in December and I hope to start med school shortly after. I also decided to enter my career field because I believe in helping others and giving back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yo Manny! I bet you are relieved and excited to be finally graduating. I look forward to it myself, but I sadly still have at least two years left. I think it is amazing that you were still able to find a path that is right for you, despite the obstacles that got in your way. Never give up! That should be everyone catch phrase. The strength of knowing you gave it your all can sometimes even cancel out the feeling of failure. Your dog is cute as hell by the way :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Manny!

    Your dog is so cute! I have never heard of your major before so it was really cool to read about how it kind of works. I'm glad that you think you've finally found your fit in the Air Force too. I'm a firm believer in the saying that everything happens for a reason so I definitely think you've ended up where you're meant to be. I hope you're having an awesome day when you read this comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Manny,
    I love your dog you should check my introduction out sometimes I think you would like my dog too. Wow working in the Air Force sounds intense and impressive so that is awesome news congrats. I look forward to reading your stories this semester. I might need some help in cybersecurity one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Manny!

    I like your career choice. Cyber security sounds pretty cool to work in. Plus, it will most likely come in very handy with personal use as well! Your military history is also very cool! I'm sorry to hear that your doctor keeps turning you away! Keep pushing, though. Furthermore, I like your dog, I have one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Manny, it's so interesting that you're majoring in MIS. My roommate is also a MIS major, so I'm somewhat familiar with what it entails, but I'm a health major, so I'd be lost if I were to take any similar classes. I did recently read a book that by dad gave me on cyber security because I tend to trust my laptop and internet too closely, but after reading it I now realize that I need to keep my personal information in my brain, not my laptop. I think it's awesome how you've aligned your future career goals through your life experiences! I respect you so much for that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Manny,
    It's nice to read about you. I think an MIS major is great and will get you very far in life. I think the way you decided your future is really interesting and is a great way for people to look at life further down the road. I wish you the best and hope you have an amazing last semester of college.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Manny!

    Congratulations on graduating after this semester! I'll bet that you are really glad to have the end in such a close sight! Personally, I'm graduating in May 2021, so the end is near for me too, so I think I know just how you feel!

    At any rate, I admire your persistence to join the military. I hope that your time with the Air Force works out well for you!

    Cheers,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Manny!
    Thank you and your family for your service. I really admire your will and persistence to join the military despite all the setbacks. I'm sure it must have been difficult to keep getting turned away from your goal. I'm glad that your set to graduate early and that you already have a job lined up in the Air Force. I respect you for your hard work and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Manny! I really respect your determination and will to join the military. That's really amazing that you still found a way to work for the Air Force, despite it not necessarily being in the way that you expected. MIS is a great major, and there are so many different fields that look for people with this skill. I am a business major, so I ended up taking a MIS course as well. It was very interesting and has been useful to me in a lot of other classes. Congratulations on graduating this semester and good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Manny, Nice to meet you! I admire your dedication and willingness to join the military. My brother may play football at Air Force academy and would have to serve, but the cool thing is how you get set up with a job out of graduation. It’s really cool that you are working as a intern in cyber security. A friend of mine does cyber security in the Navy and really enjoys it. Your dog is really cute btw! Look forward to reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Manny! great job on graduating this decemeber I am also graduating as well! I also thought your intro post was pretty inspiring to read goes to show with enough work and determination you can get far! also your dog is too adorable! keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Notes: The Hypocritical Cat

The Hypocritical Cat     There was a cat that wanted to eat many rats and wanted to trick them to be able to eat them all. So he stood on on...