Friday, October 2, 2020

Week 6 Story Lab: Microfiction: Snatch and Grab

Snatch and Grab

    B went searching for women he felt would be worthy of being married to his brother. His first stop was a gathering of the royal families at the city center. He drove around and noticed three beautiful princesses that were talking to each other. B immediately stopped his van, shot the nearby bodyguards, and instructed the princesses to get in his van. He escaped during the chaos and confusion. He then arrived at his brother's house and let him have his pick.

Van by Albert (November 2014). Source: Flickr


Opportunity

B saw the princesses. B took the princesses.

Author's Note

    My stories are based on the Mahabharata PDE. At one point in the story, Bhisma kidnapped three princesses for his half brother Vichitravirya so that he could continue the blood line. They eventually let one of the princesses go because she was already in love with another king. I tried to take a modern approach, hence the van and shooting. 

Bibliography

"Mahabharata Online: Public Domain Edition" by Arnold, Besant, Devee, Dutt, Ganguli, Kincaid, Macfie, Mackenzie, Nivedita, Seeger, and Tagore.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, Manny!

    I liked your pairing of the two microfictions: "Snatch and Grab" and "Opportunity". The use of the van and the gun were nice anachronisms that really painted B in an interesting light. I think that the Mahabharata doesn't quite address this aspect of what Bhishma does in the story, so I liked that you gave that criminal edge to it.

    Cheers,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Manny!
    Oh man was your story dark! I was a little shocked until I saw your author's note. After reading the note, I understood the source of the story and realized how brilliant it was to put it in a modern setting. Also, your Opportunity made me laugh really hard the second time I read it. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Manny! I have not yet read a microfiction, so I am glad that I got to read your's this week. This was a very dark approach, but I liked that it was more modern. I hope that more people will write a few more stories about the ones that we are reading, but in a more modern sense. To me, at least, that helps me understand and connect with the plot a little bit better, since it is a time period that I know well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Manny,
    This is my first time reading one of your stories, I have never read a microfiction before. This was really well written and kind of dark. It’s very interesting that this story is an adaptation of something in Ramayana. The image along with the opportunity also made me laugh you did a good job with this. I look forward to reading some of your full stories, given how interesting this micro fiction was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi manny! Cool idea of both microfictions about the same story! I have not read the original story inspo for yours but i really liked your modern rendition of it! Not gonna lie i was surpised by your story but your authors note made it make a lot more sense! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Manny,
    I really enjoyed your micro fiction this week. For only being around 100 words, this story was really dark. I like how you were able to describe an entire scenario from beginning to end in such a short word count. Your Opportunity micro fiction connected with the Snatch and Grab story as well. Overall, I felt like you did a really good job at describing the scenario and painting a clear picture in my head.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Notes: The Hypocritical Cat

The Hypocritical Cat     There was a cat that wanted to eat many rats and wanted to trick them to be able to eat them all. So he stood on on...